Friday, January 6, 2012

Resolution or Restitution?

I don't like blogs.
 And I'm a little incredulous that anyone will actually read something that is written by me, about me and the things I do. I don't read about you and the things you do.

I guess I don't really mind blogs in general, but I don't relish the idea of being committed to one myself. Theres daily updates, essays and the endless demand for fresh ideas. Why sign up for that? ( Insert snarky Facebook comparison here)

The answer is that as much as I dislike writing, I am fanatical about reading. A blog is a valid, semi-easy, FREE excuse to read all the time and then talk about it. If I could throw sushi and Disneyland into that mix somehow I'd be set.
So there it is. a blog not only about book reviews, but everything reading. There will be reviews, book lists, reading goals and discussion. All of this sounds great and makes me look very studious indeed when really I'm being sneaky about feeding a really terrible addiction.

Really, it's bad. The dog goes unwalked, my husband unfed and even "calls of nature" unanswered. I'll sit in agony vaguely wondering why I can't empty my bladder by remote control so I can finish the chapter I'm on.

The great love that I have for reading is matched only by the great dislike I harbor for writing. I find it tedious and treacherous, filled with pitfalls like grammar and spelling.
To check the growth of my increasing book shelves, I have resolved to write about the books I read over the course of a year. It seems appropriate and self fulfilling that the cost of reading my beloved books be writing about them, since writing is obviously what brought them here in the first place. Experiencing the agonies of the labor will make the value of the book more poignant.

So just like in school when fun things required an educational penance, this year I will atone for my copious reading by writing about it.

Happy reading. At least one of us gets to have fun.


P.S - It took me all day and several drafts just to write this. Which means I only got to read 6 chapters in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment