Friday, January 20, 2012

The Big Flush

This may be a sensitive question given that you and I have just started this relationship and all, but I feel like this is something that everyone can relate to, in one way or another.
So;
Do you read on the toilet?
Given that the toilet is a place of relief and the deepest kind of satisfaction, it makes sense that it be used as a place of concentration. Plus, lets face it, it gets a little boring when things are, ahem, backed up.

To set your curiosity at rest I'll answer my own question. Yes; I read in the bathroom. Books, magazines, my kindle, sometimes I'm reduced to reading the backs of shampoo bottles (you've done it.). I don't know why this seems to be a taboo thing to admit, but we potty-readers are a shunned party.

My dad was totally a toilet reader. I don't think he knew that we were aware of it either. But every night before dinner he would disappear. By the closed door and absolute silence emitting from the bathroom we knew exactly what was going on in there.He always sounded completely surprised when we called him too. Like he was sitting there minding (and doing) his business and he had somehow time traveled to an hour in the future without his knowledge. We all knew to steer clear of that side of the house for a while after one of those sessions.
I don't see what the big deal is. My husband says it's gross, but I told him it isn't any grosser that what he's already doing in there. I get some of my best reading done there. I'm relaxed, it's quiet and interruption free. People might say you get the same qualities from a library, but just try and relieve yourself at a library and see how that goes.

So I say read on potty-readers! Read until your legs are asleep and people forget that you're even home. Wear the red ring around your butt as a badge of honor! Install a cushiony seat and never leave the bathroom again!

2 comments:

  1. I to am an...ahem...potty reader. Although many times the potty reading may lead into bathtub reading if I am at a wonderful spot in my book and I do not want to miss anything. I could travel to the couch and read, however, there I will have to answer to kitties and a husband, whereas, staying put in the bathroom allows me to continue enjoying an interruption-free reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh! Bathtub reading! The only thing better than potty reading! Also, I detect a Sherlock Holmes tribute in your member name Speckled Band :)

    ReplyDelete